Saturday, July 29, 2017

July OMG Round the Garden Part B Interior 3



The original pattern has layered embroidered circles for blossoms in the basket.  I went off script and replaced them with die cut wool blossoms that were from Accuquilt's Round Flower die or Rose of Sharon dies by Sharon Pederson or Serendipity die Edyta Sitar.  My substitutions will detract from the moderne design of the original.  I hope I still like my version when it gets done.  I care naught a whit whether it is categorized as moderne, modern or traditional.  I just hope that my efforts come together in a pleasing rendition.  I am not sure I am done with the embroidery in this section.  I am going to let it alone for a spell to see if I wish to add some more.  I took out the stitching that I had place in the center of the pink blossom.
     
I did a heavy chain stitch in Ricky Tim's Razzle Dazzle and Sulky's variegated Overlock.  I purchased the Overlock thread by mistake.  I bought it because it was variegated. When I checked to see the weight when I got home I noticed that it was a serger thread.  I do not have a serger.  I was not sure about its characteristics but I decided it would be fine to embroider with so it made its way into my collection of threads.  

I couched a lazy daisy stitch around the heavy chain stitch in the blossoms center. I liked the stitching and the thread but I did not like the color choice so I removed it.  I may go back and fill it in with dark and light pink colonial or French knots.  Maybe  I will use some seed stitches as a filler.   I was trying to think of an outline stitch for this blossom that could smoothly surround this blossoms convex and concave exterior while fitting snuggly around the edge.  I wanted something other that the Pearl, Coral, Scroll stitching that I had already been using.  I pulled out an old publication by Coats and Clark's 150-A and found the double knot stitch.  This stitch is easy and it hugs both convex and concave.  I think you just need to keep the stitches even.  Increasing the stitch length could give a different look to this stitch.  I am sure I will start using this stitch again an again.
     
Come on over to Elm Street Quilts and join us by monthly goals for our quilting projects.  See what the others have accomplished.

3 comments:

  1. Love those little bunnies. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete