Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Gina Perkes Ruler Mastery Class

I first posted about this project the end of last year... December OMG Bonnie Hunter Mystery 2017-18  I had watched thequiltshow.com and learned about Gina Perkes Ruler Mastery Class in one of their excellent shows.  I ordered the rulers and looked forward to participating in the class. I reviewed the material and realized that the block sizes and quilt size were nearly consistent with my sister's unfinished quilt.  After deconstructing and reassembling the quilt top with a new back, I set about working through the 10 month video class.  




Here is the finished quilt.  It is about fifty inches square.  You can see the quilting better on the other side.

I have to wash out the water soluble thread that I used to baste the quilt and bury some errant threads that may appear after washing.  I should make a label to tell this quilt's story.  I am giving it back to my sister.  She and her husband have a timid black shepherd that might like it for a dog bed.  I remember when I would love making quilt tops and the only thing I knew to do with them was to tie them.  My mother taught me how to do that after she had taken a class from Eleanor Burns forty years ago or more.  This was when Eleanor was self publishing her materials.  I fell in love with log cabin quilts.  I loved moving around the blocks until I decided upon a layout.  Then I went on to Amish quilts.  All the while I would tie them.  Now I enjoy the quilting as well as the piecing.  On to my next project.  

Addendum:  

I washed the quilt and all the water soluble thread dissolved and all these really puffy spots showed up.  I understand the notion of even quilting much better after this.  This quilt needs to be blocked but that is not happening.  Maybe I get out an ironing board and steam while I look over the quilt for threads that need burying. I think I need to work center to edges or top to bottom rather than randomly here to there.  I look forward to giving it back to my sister. I learned a bunch about what not to do.  I am not a negative Nancy.  I learned I can do so much and I love quilting.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment