Friday, January 5, 2018

Flying Geese Next because Clue 3 On Ringo Lake FINALLY DONE!!

Finally, clue #3 is done.  This was challenging for me.  As I sewed the patches would jam in the plate.  I tried leaders an enders but it still happened even when chain piecing.  Urghh!!!  Then when I tried to separate the patches the thread would come loose and I would have to restitch.  I changed the tension but then whenever I turned the sewing machine off I forgot to set the tension again until the problem happened again.  When I tried to press the patches the fabric seemed to stretch and the end of the patch seemed to no longer be a square corner.  While I was struggling with this I decided to change up my method for the brown flying geese.  I am making 4 at a time.  I am cutting one square that is 1.25 inches larger the finish width (in this case 3 + 1.25 = 4.25) and 4 squares that are 7/8 inch larger than the height of the goose(in this case 1.5 + .875 = 2.375).  I made a set of brown geese for one block to give myself a break from clue 3.  I figured out the square inches needed for the geese and I picked a fabric that I had enough of to make them all.  I made some Brave New World blocks so I could layout a sample block.  When I got done, I realized that I think I would rather have scrappy than uniform.  I have now pulled out my brown fabrics and now I need to find some more lights and I will start on the geese.  When I made my first set I cut my 4 squares 2.5 inches and it worked just fine.  I think I am going to cut my larger squares a generous 4.25 inches because my sample set was cutting it a bit too close.  I want a little extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment