Friday, January 20, 2017

The Easter Deadline

 I have been asked by a family member to make a quilt for them to give as a gift.  I have made quilts that I have given as gifts, but this is my first pro bono commission.  It is for his soon to be in-laws.  He gave me this photo that is from their favorite haunts, White Horse Beach.  I do like to make quilts from photos.  I have posterized it.


Now I am in the process of cutting up hunks to create patterns for chunks of fabric that I am gluing together.  I cut a large piece of nonwoven to use as a base.  You can see through to assist in positioning.  I have been using temporary spray adhesive to attach fabric to the nonwoven and then some water soluble glue to layer fabric on top of that,

Here is my progress so far.  I think I may commit to the completion of the top as my February OMG. I should really figure out when exactly Easter is this year.  I had fun picking out fabric.  I hope this goes well.  My plan is to applique the rocks onto a double on point storm at sea setting.  The top blocks will be light blues for the sky, the water will be light, medium and dark blues for the water and some tan blocks at the bottom to resemble beach.  I hope he likes the result.  I am worried about how to deal with the stars on the flag.  I have printed the blue field of stars and reversed the image.  I am going to try to embroider the stars onto some royal blue fabric using the printed image as my guideline which I will baste to the blue.  Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment