For my nephew's commissioned quilt I was concerned about how to make the stars of the flag. I decided that appliqueing them was not going to work and decided to embroider them. I practiced various satin stitching with different threads and decided to use Superior Thread Sew Sassy #3301 (Snow Cap).
But then "Houston we've had a problem here". The red fabric stained the stars red. I was using a dry iron to paper piece the stripes. I was very surprised that this happened. This is why people prewash their fabric.
I thought it would just come out in the wash. I washed it with Tide. Then I washed it with Tide and Clorox and then I tried some solid bleach followed by soaking it over night in OxiClean. Nothing worked. Some of the stars are still quite red.
I will spend today stitching stars on blue fabric. I think my red fabric is well prewashed at this point. Hopefully I will not have to redo them.