Saturday, September 2, 2017

Birds Eye

The background looks so pink....it is not.  The directions on the magazine insert pages say that the eyes are made with a lazy daisy stitch.  The picture shows a circle with a dot in the center.  That does not look like a lazy daisy stitch.  Hmmmm.  My first attempt was a small circle of white wool with a colonial knot of blue in the center.  The piece of wool is miniscule.  I decided to attach the threads by stitching from the center to edge.  I pierce the wool where I want the off centered pupil will be. located in the end.  I go over the edge of the wool and come up 180 degrees from where the needle went down.  I thought if the stitching lines were visible that would look like the radiating lines of an iris.  At some point in time I may try that an choose a thread color and weight that is meant to be seen.  For now I am sticking to matching silk.  
 I made the mistake of placing the knot in the very center.  It looks much better off center.  Even though the white patch was little I thought it stood out too much.  I looked up pictures of eyes on blue birds and saw that the irises were colored.  I saw this bird with yellow eyes so I made a bird with a yellow iris and a blue pupil.
I liked it.  I also added a tail to this bird.  There is not one in the pattern but the other birds all have tails so I made one for this guy as well.  I liked the yellow better that the white.  Then I saw the bright green in with my florescent wools so I switched to green,  I realized that in the grand scheme of things NOONE will ever notice white or yellow or green.  It will make no nevermind.  But I say to  it is all about the process and in this case it was worth my time to learn how to better make eyes.  Back to birds on a branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment