Friday, February 9, 2018

Baby Quilt Progress

This quilt was my kernel of an idea for a baby quilt.  I have a cotton and steel panel with some adorable images.  I thought I could separate the rows of hour glasses cut up the panel and place the motifs in the open spaces and fill the other open spaces with a grey fabric.  That did not quite work out.  
 
I had two charm packs on hand.  One was a solid color that came from a Sew Sampler Box that was the color of the year.  I rarely use solids so it was fabric in search of a project.  I had won another charm pack from a blogger.  She had cut the some 5 inch blocks from a fabric line and placed them in a draw string bag that she had sewn from one of the fabrics that went with that line.  

My sister had participated in a Bonnie Hunter Leaders and Enders project using hour glasses.  At the time I was struggling with piecing hour glasses so I bought a Fons and Porter Hour Glass ruler.  
I made hour glass blocks out of the charm packs, cut up the panel and through it up on the design wall.  Since I was using coordinating grey fabric the open space Idea did not work.  It did not look like floating hourglasses it just looked like a collection of grey blocks and hour glass blocks.  

I put the panel sections and hour glass blocks up on the design wall and started rearranging.  
I had started with the fish down at the bottom but then I thought about the notion of a flying fish so I moved it up.  After several rearrangements, I settled on one and am now assembling.  I have the top quarter of the quilt pieced.  I am squaring (really rectangling) up the panel pieces by sewing on strips of grey fabrics.  

I have a black and grey fabric that I will use for the binding and a print of teal and olive leaves on pinky peach background to use for the backing.  I need some wadding.  That part is a not decided yet.  Back to sewing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment