Friday, February 9, 2018

Improvisational Adventure

I made a mistake...but I am considering it a design opportunity.  I had my quilt all up on my design wall and I just had to plump up the motifs from my Cotton and Steel panel to fit the space.  I had planned on a quilt that was 9 hour glass blocks wide each at four inch finished.  When I was plumping out my moon block I was thinking that it needed to be 3 hour glass blocks wide so the section needed to be 12.5 inch.  I plumped out the moon to 12.5 inches.  Except the whole moon section was to be 12.5 inches including the hour glass row.  OOPS!!  The top section of my quilt is now 10 blocks wide and not 9.  I figured that out when I was stitching the next quarter of the quilt and it was not matching up.  I puzzled about it for a while because I kept mentally counting the moon section as having 3 blocks but it is a four block unit.  DUH!!  I am not deconstructing.  I just have to plump out the rest of the quilt sections with a vertical row of hour glass blocks.  I had some extra that I was going to use on a changing mat but I can make some more for that if I need to make more.  I am making it up as I go.  Not exactly improvisational quilting but improvisational for me.  I am not joining the sections together at the moment.

On previous quilts I added loops of elastic to attach some baby links.  For my shower gift I usually add some links and a toy and pacifier and the like.  It can fold and roll up as a mobile play mat with attached amusements.  I am guessing that the links have a circumference the size of a pen or thereabouts.  I want the loops to be closer to the edge than to the middle but I do not want them to fall off the edge of the quilt.

1 comment: