Sunday, February 25, 2018

BabyQuilt from Kismet to Willy Nilly

I had a quilting plan all laid out in a diagram.  I had used random numbers to decide what went where.  Everything was ready and then I started quilting.  I referred to my diagram but mistakenly started quilting a flower in the top of the row of the first quarter instead of the bottom.  Oh well it was random so this would just be more so.  I was not as thrilled with my flower block in the 35 weight Lava so I unstitched it and used the Microquilting thread throughout.  When I redid the flower I decided that I wanted to use another ruler on the diagonals.  I thought is resembled a petals on leaves.  When I was reorganizing my rulers I came upon my Westalee mini Baptist Fan.  I thought that it quite looks like waves and would look good near the fish.  I watched a video and gave it a go.  I made several mistakes but I just kept going in the same pattern so I think it is still effective.  That was great fun and I learned much.  I am very well pleased to have this set of rulers.  There are many variations that one could use.  I had planned on flipping the rulers horizontally but upon further reflection I changed my mind.  My quilting plan is now just a suggestion.  I decided that the fabric below the fish reminded me of clam shells so I went hunting for my clamshell rulers.  I decided to use Gina Perkes ' Jane and Baby Jane rulers and quilt two sizes of clamshells under the fish.  I did not carefully place the rulers or properly mark as to take advantage of the registration marks on the rulers.  My quilting is more free form.  I managed to get about 1/3 of the quilting done.  Tomorrow I need to speed up or I will not have something to post for OMG.  I have until March 10th to finish this before the shower.  I had better get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment